What's in a (diet) name?

 I post about food because I do love food. When it comes to describe my diet, my doctor would say it's the Mediterranean diet, but I cannot be contained with Mediterranean flavors only. My diet isn't vegan or vegetarian or pescetarian or low fat or whatever else. So the word that fits, a word that I do not like, is "flexitarian," defined as eating in a variety of different diets and styles.

I want to say that this is what everyone does, but that's not true, because many people eat one style of food, one way of eating, and that's it. But I would prefer to dabble. I make myself a middle eastern flatbread one night, spiced with za'tar, and the next I make a root vegetable hash, full of plants native to the Americas. 

One of the benefits of being "flexitarian" is that nothing is off limits. I can make a vegan dish, I can make a dish with pork, and everything in between. Part of the reason this works is because I don't have other dietary restrictions, just the general minimize red meat and my own desire to minimize environmental impact where possible. But I'm no longer lactose intolerant, so the world (and the kitchen) is my oyster.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Viral Therapy

Common Types of Childhood Cancer

Vision Board