Eclipse fun

 So I work for Girl Scouts in the program department, and part of my job is (surprise, surprise) to run programs. I was ambitious and ran a combination overnight and day program for the eclipse at our camp, since it was at 87% totality. Which, for an annual eclipse, is pretty darn close to "totality."

For those of you unaware, an annular eclipse is when the moon passes in front of the sun, but it's closer to the earth, so there's a "ring of fire" surrounding the moon, which is actually the sun. Armed with a solar filtered telescope and a whole box of eclipse glasses, we took in the eclipse.

I've never seen an eclipse. I don't remember any growing up, so the first one I learned about was the 2017 eclipse, which I did not end up seeing, something I do regret. Seeing an eclipse is a pretty special experience. I knew about the pinhole projectors, about the leaves on trees, the idea of what would happen, but I was unprepared.

As the moon moved across the sun, it got an eerie sort of darker, like everything was foggy, or it was super early in the morning before the sun is truly up, although the sun was high in the sky. The temperature dropped too. Measured from five minutes earlier, it had dropped 4 degrees. The sun itself was wild, as was the view through the telescope. Here's a photo a volunteer took through it with a phone:

A photo of a telescope viewer with a crescent sun during an annular eclipse
Anyway, if you're anywhere near the April 2024 eclipse, I highly recommend getting your eclipse glasses and going outside to experience the sun.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Viral Therapy

Common Types of Childhood Cancer

Vision Board