Realistic Advocacy

 I wrote this for my other blog, but I wanted to add it here, because I think that this is so relevant to what this blog means and to my life as a whole. So here you go, my thoughts on advocacy.

The older I get, the more I realize that it is perfectly acceptable and normal to have one or just a few causes that are "your cause." You know, the one you could stand up and do a TED Talk on right this minute. The one you feel so strongly in your bones that things must change for it.

So anyway, I have a few. Empowering younger girls and women is one of them, probably The One if I had to pick (yes, this is why I work at Girl Scouts). Childhood cancer research advocacy is another one I'd stake a lot on, but it's come and gone over the years. Mental health is breaking through as one that's really important for me that I'm actually willing to do work on, but I've been involved tangentially in for a long time.

For a while I felt guilty. I felt guilty that I was un- or under-educated on a number of causes that are important in the world and that I personally was not doing something to fix the world. I tried to get involved in everything, following accounts, subscribing to newsletters, making donations, etc. But it wasn't sustainable, and it took a toll to constantly see the worst parts of the world.

I think a lot of us get inspired and then get burnt out. I'm not saying bury your head in that sand for everything except your biggest passion. It's important to still be informed and hold empathy for the problems people face, as well as to just be a compassionate human being. But. You should not try to solve every single problem out there, nor (IMO) should you try to be hyper-informed on every single problem with the world.

Most problems are solved because someone, or a group of someones, got together about something they are passionate about, and focused on that one thing. I will probably never make an impact on world hunger or gender diversity or any number of causes that, for whatever reason, are not "my cause." Doesn't mean I won't make a difference in the world, it just means that will not be my difference.

So if you're feeling overwhelmed, remember,

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.”

― Margaret Mead

You just need to find your people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Viral Therapy

Common Types of Childhood Cancer

Vision Board