Trying New Things Recap

 Alrighty y'all, here's what I did for new things between September 18 and October 31:

  • Made bolani (Afghan stuffed flatbread)
  • Got new glasses in a style I haven't had before
  • Tried mangonada (Hispanic mango beverage with chilis)
  • Tried eskiqute (Mexican street corn, aka elote, but in a cup)
  • Made roasted garlic soup with buckwheat noodles (also the first time cooking with buckwheat)
  • Shaped fresh pasta
  • Stamped a moon cake
  • Cooked a full fresh pumpkin in two different meals
  • Made arepas (also first time eating an arepa)
  • Experienced an annular solar eclipse (!!)
  • Managed a non-summer camp event with over 100 people (my largest event in charge yet)
  • Tried vegan sausage (yes, I'd never had that before and I eat a lot of vegan food)
  • Made khobez bread (middle eastern flatbread, which I looked up and khobez is just bread in Arabic, but this is a round flatbread)
  • Tried za'tar spice blend
  • Read (or tried to read) a satire
  • Cooked with miso (I've had it, just never cooked with it)
  • Made a pumpkin and arugula flatbread that was super involved but totally worth it. If I ever want to impress someone on a date, this is a top contender.
  • Made a new sausage soup in the crock pot
  • Tried raspberry sparkling beverage (Ikea was out of the lingonberry soda I wanted)
  • Tried Tokyo Bekana microgreens
  • Learned how to grow microgreens (and what a microgreen is)
  • Went to a new library
  • Went to a district council meeting
  • Cooked with five spice powder
  • Tried sriracha, which I made into a sauce for quinoa with olive oil and lemon juice
  • Had a watermelon and basil seed beverage from an Indian grocer (a gift)
  • Tried making (and eating) veggie egg burritos (I have had scrambled eggs before, but not as a veggie breakfast burrito)
  • Tried hummus on toast
  • Climbed a 5.10a (!)
  • Tried Moo Goo Gai Pan
  • Made a new mustard salad vinaigrette
  • New Halloween costume: Rosie the Riveter

I was considering making this my New Year's resolution as well, to continue the exploration. I have a couple of months to consider this, but honestly this has been tons of fun, and has really enriched my month and a half.

Way too many photos to ever post, but I'll do the eclipse, because that was the rarest of the things that I did.

A shadow of a colander acting as a pinhole projector during an annular solar eclipse. The slots and holes have crescent shapes, the shape of the sun.

I highly recommend setting "try as many new things as possible" as a fun yet attainable goal for yourself. You can even make it a group challenge, getting friends and family involved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Viral Therapy

Common Types of Childhood Cancer

Vision Board