My Story is My Story

 One of the things I think about a lot is whether I can claim something as part of my story. An example is childhood cancer. I stopped posting and raising awareness on this blog in college, but was active in the tumblr community for a while after that. I really stopped when I became friends with a survivor who didn't want to talk about it, and I became embarrassed to be putting up more of a show than they were. That it wasn't enough of my story to justify my activism because I was "just" a sibling, not a survivor. That it wasn't even that bad, because my brother is a long term survivor with minimal side effects. Cancer is not even a topic that we talk about regularly in my family, it's been so long.

But I've come to the conclusion that I can't let others get in the way of claiming my story. I am a sibling to a childhood cancer survivor. I come from a community of cancer fighters. I have a right to be vocal. I have a right to speak out, to affect change in whatever ways I can. I get to use my voice on behalf of those who cannot. Because it is part of my story, and nobody can change that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Viral Therapy

Common Types of Childhood Cancer

Vision Board