Recent Reads - April & May

 I love to do a little book report on what I've been reading. May and June were good months for audiobooks. I have taken a liking to listening to them not only while I walk, but also while I work, or in place of Netflix (which I do mostly just listen to). But here are my recent reads:

  • The Lost Family by Libby Copeland - really interesting, had some points I hadn't considered
  • An Abolitionist's Handbook: 12 Steps to Changing Yourself and the World by Patrisse Cullors (audiobook)
  • Thanks a Thousand: A Gratitude Journey by A.J. Jacobs (audiobook) - this one was short, a little goofy, but a fun one
  • 50 Ways to Rewire Your Anxious Brain: Simple Skills to Soothe Anxiety and Create New Neural Pathways to Calm by Maha Zayed Hoffman, Catherine M. Pittman (audiobook)
  • I Am Malala by Christina Lamb, Malala Yousafzai (audiobook) - I actually did not know much about Malala's story, or about the situation in Pakistan, so it was interesting
  • Moonshot: A NASA Astronaut's Guide to Achieving the Impossible by Mike Massimino 
  • Dare to Lead: Brave Work. Tough Conversations. Whole Hearts. by Brené Brown (audiobook)
  • Learning America: One Woman's Fight for Educational Justice for Refugee Children by Luma Mufleh - 10/10, this was an excellent book, and a recommendation from a librarian
  • How to Be Sane: A Groundbreaking Mental Wellness Guide from a Gorgeous Female Doctor by Emily Altman - I know this sounds rude, but I really wish I'd put this book back as soon as I realized it was satire
  • Rising Strong: How the Ability to Reset Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead by Brené Brown (audiobook) - yes, I have listened to 2 Brené Brown audiobooks this year already
  • All You Can Ever Know by Nicole Chung (audiobook)
  • Fires in the Dark: Healing the Mind, the Oldest Branch of Medicine by Kay Redfield Jamison (audiobook) - Dr. Jamison is an inspiration to me honestly
  • Autism for Adults: An Approachable Guide to Living Excellently on the Spectrum by Daniel Jones (audiobook)
  • Tired as F*ck: Burnout at the Hands of Diet, Self-Help, and Hustle Culture by Caroline Dooner (audiobook) - actually really interesting, even if there were a few moments where I felt a little uncomfortable
  • Project UnLonely: Healing Our Crisis of Disconnection by Jeremy Nobel  - I'd recommend this one too
  • Gmorning, Gnight!: Little Pep Talks for Me & You by Lin-Manuel Miranda - funny and cute
  • Random Acts of Medicine: The Hidden Forces That Sway Doctors, Impact Patients, and Shape Our Health by Anupam B. Jena, Christopher Worsham (audiobook) - pretty interesting, sometimes a little dry

I am cruising towards my reading goal of 52 (one book a week), with 43 books read this year. I will admit, many are short. But I think it really says something that I've moved beyond grad school burnout and can enjoy books and reading again. And also rediscovering audiobooks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Viral Therapy

Common Types of Childhood Cancer

Vision Board