2023: A Year in Review

 2023 has come and gone. My goal for this year was simple: have better work-life balance. While some seasons were better than others, I feel like I accomplished my goal. So here's some highlights from my year:

  • I started out slow with minimal activities in winter, although I was dating someone so there were a few outings.
  • Also in the winter, I took up cooking as a hobby, spurred by the decision that I finally needed to listen to my doctor and address some health issues with lifestyle changes.
  • I went to Seattle area in March! My dad's family still lives there, so I visited, the first time visiting on my own.
  • A month later, I bought my digital step counter and joined my health insurance's app, so now I'm extra motivated to move my body, eat healthy, and take care of myself.
  • We had record snowfall this past winter. Seriously, some ski resorts had over 800 inches, including a snow storm in April.
  • Also in April, my work bestie moved back east to be with her family. We sent her off with a popcorn party at work and a roller skating session that weekend. 
  • Summer brought even more adventures and time with friends. I grilled, I planted lovely flowers, and visited so many libraries. I also renewed my passport, completed the summer reading program (earning a trip to a museum coincidentally on my birthday), and tried many new recipes and foods.
  • I went to Montana for my friend's wedding in June. I'm honored to have been invited, as it was mostly family, with only a few college friends and me.
  • I replaced my garbage disposal. This was my second fix-it of the year, having also replaced the front door handle in the winter.
  • I was elected to my HOA board in June, which is an adventure indeed. I came in to a mess, and am doing my best to build resident trust, take care of business in a reasonable amount of time, and plan for the future of the community.
  • I was a part of one of the library's mini art show in July, submitting a green and blue butterfly painting. I was also featured in the library social media showing off my art. Very proud of that.
  • I traveled to both Southern Utah and Wisconsin in August. I also caught COVID while doing this, my first time having it.
  • September and October brought my "trying new things" challenge. I tried so many new foods, recipes, activities, and more. Work even helped, taking us to a culinary school to make fresh pasta!
  • October also brought my largest event yet at work, my solar eclipse event. We were at 87% totality, which, for an annular eclipse, is pretty close to the "ring of fire."
  • For Halloween, I dressed up as Rosie the Riveter. I was not universally recognized. It was also so cold that I had to pry my pumpkin apart from frost to put the candle in.
  • I read over 50 books, practiced Spanish every day and even ordered food in Spanish twice, and wrote about gratitude daily.
  • I ended my year with a new car, replacing one that was so rusty the runner crumbled when my dad went to change the oil. This also involved driving to and from Wisconsin for the holidays, which is more of an adventure than flying, in it's own way.

I'm excited to see what 2024 brings. I am wishing myself wellness, learning, and compassion. I wish you the same.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Viral Therapy

Common Types of Childhood Cancer

Vision Board