¿Habla español?

So I've spent a fair amount of time over the past few years learning Spanish. I started on Rosetta Stone (thank you library for paying for that) but had a hard time keeping up with it, so I went back to Duolingo. Previously I'd used Duolingo to complete their entire French course (it has since been expanded). I took French in 6-10th grades, as well as a class in college, but I have always wanted to learn Spanish, starting from a CD-ROM circa 2001.

I live and work in an area with a significant amount of Latinx people. Spanish is everywhere, from the refreskeria where I got my first chili and strawberry ice cream fresada to the people speaking as I pass by on my walks. So if there was ever a time to start learning something new, it was 2020.

It was hard. It's still hard. I mix up Spanish and French with shocking consistency, slipping between all three languages in one sentence. I don't know the Spanish word for something on the tip of my tongue, so French will do. It's all Latin-based, right? That's probably my biggest stumbling block, the recall of specific words. Grammar has it's own challenges, but it's a pattern for the most part. The word for oil? Huile in French, but in Spanish? A mystery.

I'm getting there. I think that I could hold a basic conversation if presented with the opportunity and someone with patience. Eventually I'd like to be able to hold a program. Not a long or complicated one, but something that will still be worthwhile. I think that my Family Science Night is an excellent candidate. Thirty minutes, simple science, meant for the littles. Someday. Not today, but hopefully someday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Viral Therapy

Common Types of Childhood Cancer

Vision Board