Children and Nature

I recently ran an event for work where we planted flowers around our building, among other things. The squeals of delight at finding worms and digging in the dirt shows how much joy we can find in nature. It also speaks to what children need access to: free play and time outside.

I finished grad school a little under five years ago and my thesis was on the benefits of nature, specifically for military families. I worked with our local base (one of them) to provide day outings as part of a larger research study on recreation. It wasn't what I wanted to study in grad school, because I wanted to study children or adolescents and mental health more directly, but I got to involve nature and recreation at least.

I found many resources along the way, and I'd like to highlight a few:

  • Richard Louv's books, especially Vitamin N, have a really great assortment of nature activities and information on nature and children. Some books are more research based and others are more practical/experiential.
  • Temple Grandin's "The Outdoor Scientist," also had a nice assortment of activities. I actually read this after graduating, but it's a nice read.
  • Children and Nature Network
  • National Wildlife Foundation
  • Kids in Parks Program (NPS), including Junior Ranger programs and Every Kid Outdoors National Parks pass program
  • Nature Rx (videos contain swearing):


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Viral Therapy

Common Types of Childhood Cancer

Vision Board